Slarrow

"Slarrow" refers to the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" from Hamlet's soliloquy. Here are the chronicles of such darts and whatever attempt there may be to take arms against such a sea of troubles.

Name:
Location: Ozarks, United States

Monday, August 08, 2005

Last Retrospective Piece For a Bit

I'm closing up this little retrospective series on the birth of my son (nearly two years old now) with this final posting. Afterwards, I think I'll reflect on what two years of daddyhood has taught me and how close it's been to my expectations. (I also hope this post will fix whatever bug Blogger put in my last post to shove everything below the right sidebar. Grrrr...)

I Keep Falling In Love With Him....

We sing a song at our church with this chorus: "I keep falling in love with Him, over and over and, over and over again." My oh my.

My son was born at 2:25 am on Wednesday, October 15, 2003. He weighed 8 lbs 12 oz. and was 22 inches long. He entered the world hollering like most of the men in my family; he was secure and warm, and he got interrupted just because the rest of us wanted to see his face. Well, we did, and we do. How amazing it all is.

I've experienced much and thought much and will inflict those thoughts on you at a later date. I've thought about how a laboring mother is stripped of personality and becomes an elemental woman at that stage with all the social niceties and topical differences stripped away. I've marveled at this child's birth as being the completion of sex, and I gotta tell you people who think the primary purpose of sex is pleasure: oh man, you've got it all wrong. I've pondered the change in state I've now experienced; I was wrong when I thought it would hit me all at once since it's more like falling in love a little at a time. Once again: how did God send His son to start like this? And my world has simultaneously gotten bigger and smaller; for one thing, I don't trust you other drivers anymore because it's obvious you're trying to hit me!

Many other things will follow (including long-overdue personal thank-yous to you folks who have written me directly), but this will do for now. I have to get back to my wife and son.

Wow.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home