Slarrow

"Slarrow" refers to the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" from Hamlet's soliloquy. Here are the chronicles of such darts and whatever attempt there may be to take arms against such a sea of troubles.

Name:
Location: Ozarks, United States

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Riding The Storm Out

My, what an interesting afternoon it's been. Skewed and phony exit polls, reports of tire slashings for campaign vans, reports of Republicans' registration mysteriously vanishing from the voter rolls in Democrat-controlled precincts--and it's not yet quittin' time on the East Coast!

(All the above can be found, I think, at the excellent National Review subsites: The Corner, The Kerry Spot, and Battlegrounders. NRO's home page also does a great job of letting users peek on these subsites; that's some nice coding there.)

Despite the wild swings that come from not enough information, I remain fairly confident. The fundamentals, I think, have always been in Bush's favor. I only hope the Democrats don't cheat so much that they steal the election like they tried to do in 2000. (Oh, that may rile some folks!)

But I also remain on an even keel. I was thinking about this last night as I put my sleeping son into his crib. It struck me that I would do the same thing tonight and tomorrow night and the night after that. I would do that regardless of who won or indeed if I knew who won.

While I firmly believe a Kerry presidency would increase our danger and harm our economy, who's the president isn't the sum total of my life. So I'll go home tonight and get the computer set up with lots of Opera browser windows and be set to refresh them frequently. But once that's set up, my wife and I will play with our little boy in the living room and try to teach him how to say more words. I'll probably leave the computer on when I go to bed in order to recheck things in the middle of the night when he wakes up, but I don't plan on staying up until 3:00 am.

Whatever happens, I'll get up tomorrow, get dressed, and go to work. I hope those folks going nuts over the fluctations of fragmented information remember that they'll do the same. Life goes on, regardless.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home