Slarrow

"Slarrow" refers to the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" from Hamlet's soliloquy. Here are the chronicles of such darts and whatever attempt there may be to take arms against such a sea of troubles.

Name:
Location: Ozarks, United States

Thursday, September 09, 2004

This Is From 1973?

Powerline's got the goods on this document alleging pressure to rate George Bush when the purported author claims he wasn't even there. Powerline's guys think it's a forgery. I do too.

A couple of things strike me funny from this 1973 document. Now, I'm not military, so I don't know typical procedures; maybe military guys can help me on this. But the date is labeled "18 August 1973". First of all, is "dd month yyyy" standard date format for military communications of that time? Second, my little Microsoft Outlook calendar tells me that this date is a Saturday. Did this kind of administrative runaround (filing memos, taking admin phone calls) typically take place on Saturdays?

Finally, the subject line is "Subject: CYA". Now, I know there's a common interpretation of that little acryonym, and I wouldn't be surprised to find it's been around for decades, especially in the military. But a lieutenant colonel is supposed to file a memo with that as a subject line? Maybe it could be legit, but it just seems so clumsy.

UPDATE: After I posted this, I got a little sheepish about whether my observations made any sense. But the comment thread over at Little Green Footballs mentioned all three of my objections--and I posted this before that thread ever got started! *beaming*

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home